S202 is a limited edition STi version 7 (bugeye) model that was produced in 2002.
It achieved and surpassed all the performance enhancements of the light-weight, bare bones ringer the STI type RA - while retaining and adding some of STI's more "refined sports car" attributes.
Among other things it featured:
- a 320 horsepower version of STi's ej207 boxer engine
- STi Spec C roof vent
- STi S202 carbon fiber wing (featuring a different base from the STI carbon fiber wing)
- STi front mount oil cooler
- bronze RAYS Engineering STi 10-spoke wheels (bearing a similarity in appearance to Volk Racing CE28N wheels)
- STi titanium exhaust
- STi Suede bucket seats
- Projector headlights (all other RA models had been switched to reflector headlights similar to the USDM bugeye WRX - which weigh substantially less than the projectors)
- Matte black dash trim
Production was limited to 400 units, all of which were supposedly pre-sold.
It introduced the sonic yellow color which would be offered as a general us-spec WRX color in 2003, replacing 2002's limited blaze yellow color.