|MediaWiki Handbook: Contents, Readers, Editors, Moderators, System admins +/-|
A dummy edit is a change in wikitext that has little or no effect on the rendered page, but saves a useful dummy edit summary. The dummy edit summary can be used for text messaging, and correcting a previous edit summary such as an accidental marking of a previous edit as "minor" (see Help:Minor edit). Text messaging via the edit summary is a way of communicating with other editors. Text messages may be seen by dotted IP number editors who don't have a user talk page, or editors who haven't read the subject's talk page, if it exists. Each edit summary can hold 250 bytes; the input box for an edit summary is limited to 200 characters. A dummy edit should be checkboxed "minor" by logged-in editors (except when the purpose of the dummy edit is to correct a previous edit accidentally marked "minor").
- Changing the number of newlines in the edit text. Changing a space to a line break in running text or vice versa, for example, or adding or removing a single blank line after a header. Adding an extra blank line where there was none may add a paragraph break, which is not a dummy edit. Adding newlines to the end of the article will not save as a dummy edit (see below).
- Changing the number of spaces. Changing one space character to two or more (or vice versa) also has no effect on the rendered page. Multiple space characters always render as a single space, unless the line begins with a leading space.
A null edit occurs if a page save is made when the wikitext is not changed, which is useful for refreshing the cache. A null edit will not record an edit, make any entry in the page history, in Recent Changes, etc., and the edit summary is discarded.
- Opening the edit window and saving. A section edit save is sufficient, but can sometimes result in a dummy edit.
- Adding newlines only to the end of the article and saving. This is also a null edit.
If a transcluded template has added or removed a category since it was last transcluded then purge will not update the category page, but a null edit will.
Links to other help pages
- Help contents | search (all help pages)
- Meta | Wikinews | Wikipedia | Wikiquote | Wiktionary | commons: | mw: | b: | s:
- Go | Search | Stop words | URL | Namespace | Page name | Section
- Backlinks | Link | Piped link | Interwiki link | Redirect | Category | Image page
- Logging in and preferences
- Logging in | Preferences | User style
- Advanced editing | Editing FAQ | Edit toolbar | Export
- Editing shortcuts
- Tracking changes
- Recent changes (enhanced) | Related changes | Watching pages | Diff
- Page history | Edit summary | User contributions | Minor edit | Patrolled edit
- Style & formatting
- Wikitext examples | Reference card
- HTML in wikitext | HTML elements
- List | Table | Sorting
- Mathematical symbols on English Wikipedia
- Special input and output
- Inputbox | Special characters | Displaying a formula | Images and other uploaded files | EasyTimeline
- Advanced functioning
- Template | Advanced templates | Parser function | ParserFunctions | Parameter default | Variable | Magic word | System message | Substitution
- Array | Calculation
- Page management
- Starting a new page | Renaming (moving) a page | Maintenance | Merging and moving pages | Protecting pages
- Resolving disputes | Deleting a page
- Special pages
- Talk page | Testing | Sandbox
- Lists of resources
- Lists of Categories | Copyrights | Infobox
- Redirect | Reference Desk | Shortcuts | Stub types
Other languages: English (en) +/-